Poster for the "Exposition Internationale de Timbres-Poste, Société Philatélique de Genève" in 1896.
This rare poster features the first four Swiss stamps, which are among the oldest stamps in circulation in the world, after those of the United Kingdom (6 May 1840).
The "Zurich 4", introduced in 1843, is the first continental European stamp. This 4 cent stamp was used to send a letter within the city of Zürich.
Also introduced in 1843, the "Double de Genève" was intended for sending letters within the canton. Half of the "Double de Genève" was sufficient to send a letter within a "commune".
The "Colombe de Bâle", designed by the architect Melchior Berri, was launched in 1845. Two and a half cents for a letter within the city of Basel.
The two-and-a-half cent "Winterthur" was issued in 1850 to pay for a letter at the reduced rate in the cantons of Zurich, Schaffhausen and Thurgau.
- Condition B+
- Code D074200