Original Plate n°25 from "les Maîtres de l'Affiche" finely printed in lithograph on stone in 1896.
The Alcazar d'Été was a Café-concert which opened in 1860, located on the Champs-Élysées at 8 Avenue Gabriel in Paris, and closed in 1914.
At the end of the 19th century, the public's passion for posters was at its height. Across Europe, many collectors were clamoring for posters of all formats and demanding special editions or additional copies.
In response to this craze, Jules Chéret founded "Les Maîtres de l'Affiche" in 1896. He chose famous posters and printed them in lithography, on a thick paper of about 29 x 40 cm.
This small-format publication, easy to collect, is the logical consequence of the collection-mania that was going through the Belle Epoque. It allows amateurs to admire and acquire the most beautiful European and American graphic works.
Each plate model is numbered at the bottom left with the inscription: "Les Maîtres de l'affiche Pl…, Imprimerie Chaix (Encre Lorilleux & Cie)". On the right, a dry stamp, logo of the edition, reproduced the image of the lithograph "Concert d'été" created by Chéret. The print run of each plate is unknown.
Every month, 4 new plates were put together in a booklet sold for Frs 2.50.- The annual subscription was Frs 27.- and at the end of the year a deluxe edition, bound, was also available.
From 1896 to 1900, Jules Chéret published 240 plates and 16 supplements.
These lithographs are a great opportunity to acquire works drawn by the greatest masters of the belle époque.
- Condition A+
- Code W034800